Add translation dictionary to your Kindle
1. Choose language
The English-? dictionary contains ? translations.
You can preview the coverage and translation quality below. Type a word in the search field to see its translation from the selected dictionary. If the dictionary doesn‘t have a translation, Kindle will show an English definition instead.
If you are satisfied with the preview, there’s only one step left:
Preparing your download…
3. Add to Kindle
After you purchase the dictionary, the above button will turn into a download link. The file is a ZIP archive with two dictionaries, one for each translation direction. Download the file, unpack it and use the following instructions to add the contained files to your Kindle using one of the two options:
Option 1: Use Send to Kindle
This works for both Kindle devices and Kindle apps for phones and tablets.
- Go to Amazon’s Send to Kindle page.
- Upload the downloaded EPUB dictionary file.
- The dictionary will show up as a new book in your Kindle library. Open your Kindle and make sure it is downloaded from cloud to the device. Notice that it may takes Amazon a few minutes (or hours…) to process the upload.
Option 2: Copy manuallyThis option only works for physical Kindle devices, but is faster.
- Connect Kindle to computer with a USB cable.
- Open Kindle’s folder and navigate to documents/dictionaries.
- Move the downloaded MOBI dictionary file to the dictionaries folder.
- Eject Kindle safely and unplug the USB cable.
Enable the dictionary
- Open any book in English in your Kindle.
- Tap and hold on a word in it so that the dictionary appears.
- The name of the current dictionary is shown in the bottom right corner of the window that appeared. Tap it.
- From the list of dictionaries, choose the one you just downloaded.
- Enjoy your new dictionary!
Frequently Asked Questions
The dictionary will be regularly updated every few months. You can download an updated version later by using the download link in your email receipt.
What devices are supported?
Kindle devices as well as phone and tablet apps are fine. Kindle apps for PCs and Macs don’t allow custom dictionaries, unfortunately.
Please use the preview above to check if the dictionary suits your needs. That said, the real test is reading with it, so if you’re not satisfied, you can request a refund within 7 days of purchase. I only ask that you delete the dictionary and tell me where it failed you.